American University of the Caribbean School of Medicine, located on the beautiful Caribbean island of Sint Maarten in the West Indies, invites applications for a non-academic post as a Director of Wellness Counseling. Successful candidates will provide wellness counseling services to medical students and their families and provide oversight, leadership, and supervision to other wellness counselors. The Center provides individual, group, family, and couples counseling, as well as on-call crisis services and student outreach. Position will remain open until filled.
American University of the Caribbean School of Medicine is a member of Adtalem Global Education (NYSE: ATGE), a global education provider headquartered in the United States. The organization's purpose is to empower students to achieve their goals, find success and make inspiring contributions to our global community. Founded in 1978, American is committed to educating a diverse group of skilled physicians to serve as leaders in the U.S. healthcare system. With more than 12,000 alumni , the American University of the Caribbean School of Medicine is an important contributor to healthcare in North America. Students complete their foundational studies in Sint Maarten, West Indies, before completing their clinical training in one of America’s affiliated teaching hospitals throughout the United States. American University of the Caribbean School of Medicine is accredited by the Accreditation Commission of the Colleges of Medicine (ACCM).
The ideal candidate for this position would have experience working in an academic counseling center or leading a private group practice. Education is the primary focus of the faculty. The academic year is divided into three semesters with a new class of students admitted each semester. Lectures and other educational responsibilities continue throughout the year. Research opportunities exist, primarily in the area of medical education.
1. Teamwork - Supportive of team/departmental goals; willingly helps others by providing information, training, or work assistance; demonstrates flexibility in responding to changing work conditions, or unexpected issues that arise.
2. Service Orientation - Consistently demonstrates concern/courtesy to coworkers and customers; follows through on commitments to customers; works to improve level of service.
3. Communication - Listens effectively; responds clearly and directly; prepares clear concise reports, records or documentation; gives or explains instructions and ideas to others effectively
4. Adaptability - Ability to adjust to a variety of situations/issues; exhibits flexibility to changing work demands
5. Innovation/Creativity/Initiative - Works independently, willing to learn new skills, processes; engages in creative problem solving, open and receptive to new ideas; integrates change and makes appropriate suggestions (based on work experience) to improve work area/flow or processes; proactively works to identify and address work problems or issues
6. Motivation - Enthusiastically assumes new tasks, responsibilities; takes personal responsibility for departmental success; works steadily and actively; demonstrates positive attitude toward self and others
7. Job Knowledge - Applies technical and procedural know-how to “get the job done”; demonstrates understanding and mastery of process, methods, systems and/or procedures; keeps informed of the latest developments in area of specialty
8. Judgment - Analyzes situations; uses problem solving skills; makes appropriate decisions consistent with the situation; obtains and evaluates pertinent information to determine source of and alternative solutions to problems
9. Quantity & Productivity - Accommodates multiple demands for commitment of time, energy and resources; develops and/or follows work procedures; handles information flow; organizes work assignments for optimum results; manages time and priorities appropriately
10. Quality - Demonstrates competence, accuracy, thoroughness, and reliability
1. Staff Development - Promotes staff development by providing detailed instructions/training, and timely, honest feedback (e.g., completes timely performance appraisals on employees); accurately assesses the needs and strengths of others; recognizes employee successes; provides challenging assignments as opportunities for employees to learn and grow
2. Decision Making - Knows when to refer matters to the next level; determines priorities and acts within the agreed upon time frame; develops alternatives with rationale and consequences for each course of action; uses the values and principles of the University to determine what is important, and to guide actions; effectively identifies solutions and solves problems
3. Leadership - Effectively conveys vision of unit goals; motivates employees to embrace the vision and contribute to unit/department success; serves as positive role model for employees; visibly supports University goals and mission and demonstrates dedication to the success of the organization; effectively addresses conflicts; facilitates communication; fosters productive work environment
4. Promotes Diversity - Creates work environment which respects diversity and welcomes new ideas; proactively works to achieve, maintain diverse workforce
5. Compliance/Accountability/Risk Management - Has completed a formal risk assessment of the department, identifying all known high risk areas, and made recommendations for improvement/change along with an implementation plan; maintains ethical management practices for self and staff; ensures compliance of University, policies and laws; protects proprietary information; and ensures proper use of organizational assets and the accuracy of records and reports.
Completes other duties as assigned.
The successful candidate will possess:
American University of the Caribbean School of Medicine offers a competitive relocation assistance program to and from Sint Maarten, a retirement program, tuition assistance benefit, scholarship program for dependents, health care benefits, travel benefits, a living allowance and a generous annual leave program. We also offer opportunities for professional development. We are proud to be an EEO/M/F/D/V employer. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
To apply, please visit our websiteaucmed.edu; select Careers and complete our online application process.
We are proud to be an EEO employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing. Thank you for applying for this outstanding opportunity today.
American University of the Caribbean School of Medicine (AUC) is an international medical school preparing physicians for careers in the United States, Canada, and worldwide. AUC was founded in 1978 and is fully accredited by the Accreditation Commission on Colleges of Medicine, which is recognized by the US Department of Education and the World Health Organization. AUC offers a diversity of students, primarily US citizens and permanent residents, with the opportunity to pursue a high-quality medical education. AUC graduates are practicing medicine in some of the most prestigious hospitals in the United States, with many earning Chief Resident positions and other positions of leadership.
AUC employs a U.S. model curriculum, with two years of medical sciences taught at the St. Maarten campus, followed by two years of clinical sciences taught at affiliated hospitals in the United States and United Kingdom. AUC is known for its student–centered environment, a faculty passionate about teaching, and a commitment to giving students who have the desire, the persistence, and the intellectual capacity an opportunity to become outstanding physicians. In 2013, AUC achieved a first-time pass rate of 97 percent on USMLE, which is on par with the rate achieved by US and Canadian schools, and above the rate achieved by osteopathic schools (94 percent) and international schools (79 percent).