American University of the Caribbean School of Medicine (AUC) in St. Maarten is actively seeking an experienced full time Wellness Counselor. AUC is where teaching and mentoring aspiring physicians on their journey to successful careers is the main focus. Our dedicated faculty and staff are part of a caring, collaborative educational community working toward one common goal: student success.
This nonacademic post will provide individual, couple, family, and group counseling to a diverse academic community of medical students and their families. Additional responsibilities will include behavioral assessment, crisis intervention, mental wellness workshop development and facilitation, faculty and staff outreach, and collaboration with other AUC professionals and programs.
- Provide individual, couple, family, and group counseling to medical students and family members
- Provide crisis intervention, assessment, and on-call services
- Develop and implement mental health promotion and outreach activities
- Consult with other departments, programs, and professionals;
- Provide guidance in career exploration, academic development, and other career related issues
- Participate in on-going professional development programs
- Other duties, as assigned by the Director of Counseling and/or the Associate Dean.
- Completes other duties as assigned.
- Master's degree in Counseling or a closely related field (e.g., Marriage and Family Therapy, Psychology, or Social Work)
- Licensure/certification (or its equivalent) by a relevant recognized authority
- Ability to administer and interpret evidenced-based behavioral health assessments
- Strong leadership and in-depth knowledge about the clinical practice of counseling
- Experience with an integrated counseling center or clinical practice
- Experience with electronic health records
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
We are proud to be an EEO employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing. Thank you for applying for this outstanding opportunity today.
American University of the Caribbean School of Medicine (AUC) is an international medical school preparing physicians for careers in the United States, Canada, and worldwide. AUC was founded in 1978 and is fully accredited by the Accreditation Commission on Colleges of Medicine, which is recognized by the US Department of Education and the World Health Organization. AUC offers a diversity of students, primarily US citizens and permanent residents, with the opportunity to pursue a high-quality medical education. AUC graduates are practicing medicine in some of the most prestigious hospitals in the United States, with many earning Chief Resident positions and other positions of leadership.
AUC employs a U.S. model curriculum, with two years of medical sciences taught at the St. Maarten campus, followed by two years of clinical sciences taught at affiliated hospitals in the United States and United Kingdom. AUC is known for its student–centered environment, a faculty passionate about teaching, and a commitment to giving students who have the desire, the persistence, and the intellectual capacity an opportunity to become outstanding physicians. In 2013, AUC achieved a first-time pass rate of 97 percent on USMLE, which is on par with the rate achieved by US and Canadian schools, and above the rate achieved by osteopathic schools (94 percent) and international schools (79 percent).